Hemp and marijuana are both cannabis plants that produce Cannabidiol or CBD. As the popularity of this chemical compound grows, the terms CBD hemp flower and cannabis get thrown around and used interchangeably. Many consumers have difficulty figuring out the differences between the two. Uses, legality, and the ever-growing number of products available make knowing the difference crucial.
Appearance Of Hemp and Marijuana Plants
What the leaves and flowers of the plant look like help you determine whether its marijuana or hemp.
- Marijuana – Cannabis plants used to cultivate marijuana resemble bushes with large, lush foliage, and dense flowers.
- Hemp – Plants grown for CBD hemp flowers are tall and skinny. Leaves and thin flowers grow towards the top.
Both cannabis and CBD hemp flower plants are identical on the molecular level and contain over 100 chemical compounds. The most common are tetrahydrocannabinol or THC and cannabidiol or CBD.
- CBD Hemp Flower – CBD hemp flower contains a high amount of the non-psychoactive cannabinoid CBD.
- Cannabis Plants – Cannabis plants contain up to 30% THC and also produce resin, a sticky, gummy sap-like substance that makes them an excellent source of CBD.
- Full-Spectrum CBD – Along with CBD and THC, cannabis and CBD hemp flowers contain additional compounds called terpenes and flavonoids. Terpenes add therapeutic value to CBD products.
- Isolates – All CBD contains an amount of 0.3% of THC or lower. CBD isolates, or those without additional compounds, work best for people that have a sensitivity to THC and those who do not like the taste of CBD.
The Legalities of CBD Hemp Flower
According to U.S. legislation, hemp and cannabis that contains less than 0.3% THC are legal.
2018 Farm Bill
The 2018 Farm bill officially removed hemp and cannabis with less than .3% THC from the Schedule I controlled substances list. These products are now legal for cultivation, transport, sale, purchase, possession, and use in every state. The FDA prohibits the sale of CBD and CBD hemp flowers as dietary supplements and food. Marijuana remains illegal federally.
Over 30 states and the District of Columbia have legalized medical marijuana. Of those states that have legalized medical marijuana, ten and Washington D.C. also passed legislation making recreational marijuana legal.
Choosing between Cannabis and CBD hemp flower
With CBD getting more and more approval both at the federal and state levels, its popularity is also growing. Start with a low concentration of CBD and gradually increase either the amount you take or the amount of CBD in the product until you find the level that works best for you.
Understanding the differences between cannabis and CBD hemp flower helps you speak knowledgeably on the subject and choose the best cannabinoid product to use.
Does CBD oil smell like Weed? Check out our blog for the answer.
Disclaimer: CBD Flower is not used to treat, cure, or mitigate any disease, illness, ailment, and/or condition. We make no representations as to intended use or suitability for use.